Capriglia Irpina, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 575 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 2400 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Avellino East, proceed for 5 km
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola of Bari celebrated on 6 December
- Frazioni & Localities: Breccelle I, Breccelle II, Casale, Marzano, Pozzo del Sale, San Felice, Spinielli, Taverna Orneta.
In 1171 Ruggero de Fragneto unified Capriglia with Sant'Angelo a Scala, then in 1419 the town passed to the Caracciolo family. Some years afterwards Capriglia, with the barony of Sant'Angelo a Scala, was occupied by the Carafa family as Isabella Caracciolo's dowry, when she married the Count of Maddaloni. The Carafas, a very powerful, noble family, used the Capriglia Castle as their summer residence.
Where to stay
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.