Caposele, Province of Avellino, Campania
Located at the foot of a rocky spur in the Cervialto Mountain, close to the springs of the Sele river, it marks the beginning of the Pugliese Aqueduct. The town takes its name from the Sele river, originating from two springs at different altitudes: Acqua delle Brecce and Cerasuolo.
- Altitude: 405 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 3400 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- How to reach it: Autostrada Salerno - Reggio Calabria, exit Contursi, then 31 km
- Patron Saint: San Gerardo, celebrated on October 16
- Frazioni & Localities: Materdomini, Fornaci, Piani, San Giovanni, Santa Caterina.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
During the Norman period Caposele belonged to the count Filippo de Balbano, substituted later by Frederick of Aragona (1272-1337) that restored and greatly improved the old Fortress where the wedding of Margherita of Aragona was celebrated. Afterwards the fiefdom was given to the famous poet and humanist Jacopo Sannazzaro, then passed to the Mazzella and De Vera families. In 1694 Caposele was completely destroyed by an earthquake and since that time the ancient settlement was almost abandoned.
What to see
- Spring of the Sele River
- Sanctuary of San Gerardo Maiella, located at Materdomini.
- The Ruins of the old walls that in the past surrounded the entire village
- A square tower of the 11th century, the only remain of the ancient Castle.