Candida, Province of Avellino, Campania
The first human settlements in the territory date back to Roman times. Many ruins were found in the localities of Cesine, Vigna, Selvetelle, Scandravoli, Giardino, Ponticelli, Gaudi, Toppa Sant'Andrea. The toponym derives from the Latin "locus candidus" that means clear, shining place.
- Altitude: 579 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Demonym: candidesi
- Patron Saint: St. Filippo Neri celebrated on 26 May.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The first historical mention of the town appeared in 1045 when Candida was included, under the Lombard domination, in the Avellino county. From that time many feudal lords followed one another. The Filangieri family owned the fiefdom from 1187 with Alduino de Candida until 1420 when Caterina Filangieri gave Candida as a dowry to Sergianni Caracciolo. Then the fiefdom passed to the De Cardona, Magnacervo, Grimaldi, Saulli families, then back to the Caracciolos that kept it until the abolition of the feudal system in 1806.