Calitri, Province of Avellino, Campania
Calitri takes its name from Aletrium, an ancient, important commercial center at the time of the Roman Empire. Later on the name was changed into Caletrum and finally Calitri.
- Altitude: 530 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 4500 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83045
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- Patron Saint: St. Canio celebrated on 25 May
- Frazioni & Localities: Crocepenta, Isca, Pepponi, Scalo Calitri-Pescopagano.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
During the 11th century it was ruled by the Count of Conza, then it was for three centuries under the Gesualdo family. In 1636 Francesco Mirelli bought the fiefdom. Unfortunately on sept 8, 1694, a ruinous earthquake destroyed a large part of Calitri, including the old castle, killing over 300 people. Nowadays it is renowned for its artistic ceramics.
How to reach it
- Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Lacedonia or Candela
- Autostrada Salerno - Reggio Calabria, exit Contursi
- Railway line Rocchetta Sant'Antonio-Avellino, station of Calitri/ Pescopagano.
What to see
- The churches of Santissima Annunziata and San Canio
- Ruins of the ancient castle.
- 25 May: Feast of San Canio
- 3rd Sunday in June: Market fair of San Vito
- Last Sunday in August - first Sunday in September: Fiera Interregionale
- 1st Sunday in October: Fiera del Rosario.