Calabritto, Province of Avellino, Campania
This small town in the high Sele Valley, dominated by the Cervialto Mountain (mt 1809), is crossed by the Zagarone river and surrounded by forests. The tradition derives the toponym from the hostess of an inn, addressed with the yell: "Cala Britta" (come down, Britta); a more realistic etymology is from the Latin Kalabrix, a plan similar to hawthorn.
- Altitude: 480 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 2300 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0827
- How to reach it: Autostrada Salerno - Reggio Calabria, exit Contursi; proceed toward Fondo Valle Sele and exit at Calabritto
- Patron Saint: St. Giuseppe and Madonna della Neve
- Frazioni & Localities: Quaglietta, Bralia, San Mauro.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Until 1279 Calabritto belonged to Caposele. After the 1656 plague the population increased and new quarters were founded. Only in 1807 it was included in the province of Avellino. In 1928 the nearby town of Quaglietta was added to the municipality of Calabritto, becoming a "frazione". During WW2 the place suffered a terrible bombing by the Anglo-Americans, that caused many victims. The 1980 earthquake also damaged the town.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria of Costantinopoli, built by the Basilian monks who took refuge here to escape persecutions by the Byzanthines. The building was destroyed by an earthquake and rebuilt.
- The church of San Pietro, restored after the earthquake of 1980, with an interesting altar and statues of San Donato and St. Francesco Saverio
- The Chapel of Carmine, belonging in the past to a 16th century Convent; inside, on the main altar, the statue of Madonna del Carmine, in the Byzantine style.
- Not far from Calabritto, in the middle of the mountains there are three religious jewels in a landscape of great natural beauty: the Sanctuary of Maria SS. Della Neve, the chapel of Grienzi, and the Church of Madonna del Fiume.