Baiano, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 191 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 4800 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 83022
- Dialing Area Code: +39 081
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Baiano
- Patron Saint: St. Stefano.
It was a fiefdom of the Orsini Family in 1605 and then belonged to the Baron of Avella, Giovanni Andrea Doria. The territory of Baiano become autonomous at the beginning of the 18th century. Later was head of a district and in 1860 was added to the Irpina Province.
What to see
- The church of St. Stefano: according to documents in the Diocesis Archive, the church was a parish already in 1586; the present building is the result of restorations of the last two centuries.
- The church of Santa Croce, dating back to the early 15th century. The only original element is the late-gothic facade and its portal.
- The church of SS. Apostoli, dedicated to Apostles Filippo and Giacomo, built during the Renaissance and modified in the late baroque style.
- Church and Hermitage of Gesù and Maria: the old Chapel is located on a hilltop that overviews Baiano. It is the most beloved place for the inhabitants of the town.
- Boccieri Palace , dating back to the 14th century. Inside a famous staircase by Neapolitan architect Vanvitelli.
- The church of Fontana Vecchia, built in 1660, the country church of Fontana Vecchia is situated in the outskirts, in a square where a hundred year old oak tree stands.
Where to stay
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.