Aquilonia, Province of Avellino, Campania
- Altitude: 750 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1600 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83034
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0825
- Patron Saint: St. Vito, celebrated on 9 May
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Lacedonia
- Frazioni & Localities: Masseria San Pietro, Pagliarone.
On the night of 23 July 1930 the ruinous Vulture earthquake almost completely destroyed the town, with a heavy toll of 231 dead and over one thousand wounded. The old town was abandoned, and with funds from the government a new town was built in a higher position, in an area called Contrada Malepasso: in just 90 days almost one hundred small houses were built. Nowadays on the spot where Aquilonia rose before the earthquake a restoration has been started so as to make a Parco Archeologico in the area. The project will also be based on old photographs of the town, and on donations by private families of what they could salvage after the destruction.
What to see
- The Museo Etnografico, with thousands of original objects reconstructing life of past times.
- Forests of Monte Arcangelo
- In Pietra Palomba ruins of the Castle and the Roman bridge of Pietra dell'Olio
- The 12th-century Abbey of San Vito.
Where to stay
Sections on Italian Genealogy
Contact us with details and priorities.