San Giovanni di Gerace, Calabria
Situated among the hills near the pinewoods of piano delle Serre, facing the Ionian sea at 10 km, the village enjoys a mild climate in winter and beautiful coolness in summer.
- Altitude: m a.s.l
- Population: about 460 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 89040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0964
- Demonym: sangiovannesi
- Patron Saint: San Giovanni celebrated on 24 June.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
History - the Middle Ages
Its origins date back to the Byzantine-Basilian period (VI - XI century AD) when the populations of the coast sought shelter in the hinterland from Arab raids. Basilian monks also settled in the territory in two areas: San Teodoro, located in the hamlet of the same name, and "San Giovanni Profeta, Precursore e Battista", in the lower part of the present village. Around this monastery the first nucleus of the place was probably born, which was called "Casale di San Giovanni".
History - Modern Times
By Royal decree of March 26, 1863 the center was renamed "San Giovanni di Gerace". The historical center of San Giovanni was divided into two: Jusu Casali (lower village) e Susu Casali (upper village), which were subdivided into "Rughe" (districts) or "Vineji" (alleys), among them the most populous were: "u vajuni", "jusu casali", "u palazzu" and "u furmali".
What to see
- The Sanctuary of Maria SS. delle Grazie, existing already since the year 1000.
- The fountains, among which the "Fontanella dell'Arco" on a natural spring near the Santuario di Maria SS. della Grazie; Santa Lucia, and the "Tre Fontane".