On 23 October 1907 soon after 9 pm a terrible earthquake with epicenter in Ferruzzano destroyed most of the houses claiming 160 victims. The population had lost everything, whole families had been wiped away: most young men had only one alternative to help the survivors: emigration.
Rising at over 1500 ft on a high rock, enjoys a wonderful view from the mountains to the sea, being just 2 miles from the coast, among beautiful forests.The new developments at the Marina, where the majority of the population moved, is just starting a tourist development in harmony with nature.
- Altitude: 474 m a.s.l
- Population: about 780 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 89030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0964
- Demonym: ferruzzanoti
- Patron Saint: St. Giuseppe, celebrated on 19 March
- Frazioni & Località: Ferruzzano Marina, Ferruzzano Superiore, Saccuti.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
At Capo Bruzzano the Greeks made their first landing in Calabria in 800 BC and stayed in the gulf for a period before founding their earliest colonies.
What to see
- The medieval center is well preserved, with its ancient lanes and the steps leading to the dorways of the houses.
- the Bosco di Rudina with very old trees, included among the protected areas of the EU, and groups of palm trees planted in byzanthine times.