This small rural center is well worth a visit for the huge Roman villa being excavated in its territory and the great Greek and Mantonico wine.
- Population: about 700 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 89030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0964
- Demonym: casignanesi
- Patron Saint: St. Rocco, celebrated on 16 August.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The church of San Rocco dated 1773, preserving two precious paintings by Antonello da Messina.
- In contrada Palazzi, along the road that connected Locri to Reggio, there are remains of a huge Roman villa of the early Christian era, excavated so far for only 1300 square meters, and containng the largest mosaic collections in Calabria. Presently the plan of the thermal locals of the villa are visible, a large eight-sided structure with mosaic floors, one of extreme beauty representing four female figures riding four fantastic animals, a horse, bull, tiger and lion, all with fish tails.