Caraffa del Bianco, Calabria
The center rises on a hill in the hinterland some miles away from the Ionian Sea, and has ancient typical adjoining houses and a tradition of home weaving on hand-looms, still practiced, manufacturing the typical tablecloths and blankets.
- Altitude: 355 m a.s.l
- Population: about 500 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 89030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0964
- Demonym: caraffesi
- Patron Saint: Madonna degli Angeli celebrated on 8 August.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
It is a relatively recent settlement, being founded in the late 17th century by citizens of nearby Sant'Agata, among them the Sotira family who ruled the new center for Prince Fabrizio Caraffa from whom the place was named.
What to see
- The church of Madonna delle Grazie with a marble statue of the early 16th century.
- The church of Santa Maria degli Angeli
- The Ruins of a tower of Aragonese times.