18 km from the Ionian Sea, it consists of an ancient borough, Canolo Vecchio, and a newer section called Canolo Nuovo, rebuilt in a better position after a flood in 1950. Just below Mount Mutolo, it is surrounded by quarries of reddish stone called "Dolomites of the South".
- Population: about 700 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 89040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0964
- Demonym: canolesi
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola of Bari, celebrated on 6th December
- Frazioni & Località: Canolo nuova, Mondarola, Prestarona, Scorciapelle, Zovaianni, Malivindi.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The area was inhabited in very ancient times, since a neolithic village was found in the vicinity of the medieval borough. The name comes from the Greek "Kanalos", meaning "channel.
What to see
- Neolithic area in Prestarona, where stone items (akes, hammers) were found, as well as items of the Bronze age.