Situated in the ancient Locride amid the heights of Punta Stilo, along the Ionian Sea, and surrounded by vineyards and olive groves, the small center has a mostly agricultural economy based on the production of cereals, citruses, oil and wines, and also cheeses produced by local shepherds. At Camini Marina a Dutch company has established for some years now the cultivation of flowers, exported to all markets in Europe.
- Population: about 800 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 89040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0964
- Demonym: caminesi
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola di Bari, celebrated on the first Sunday of May
- Frazioni & Località: Catenacci, Ellera, San Leonte, Torre Ellera, Travatura.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
In antiquity the center was called "Kaminion", from furnaces, whose remains are still visible on the outskirts, and existed already at the time of Kaulon; in the 15th century it belonged to the County of Stilo and that was a period of great progress in the area.
What to see
- "A turri" a 16th century building, in the historical center.
- The two towers called "Placarite" and "Vedera" along the coast
- In the area called San Leonte there is an 11th-century well embellished with stone sculptures.