LogoLogo

Agnana Calabra, Calabria

Agnana Calabra is a small town located at the foot of Monte Agnana, 10 km from the Ionian Sea. It became a "Comune" in 1841 with the name of Agnana, to which "Calabra" was added in 1881.

Info

  • Altitude: 210 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 540 inhabitants in 2017
  • Zip/postal code: 89040
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0964
  • Patron Saint: St. Basilio Magno, celebrated on 14 June; Maria SS. della Misericordia, celebrated on 18 August.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Calabria
Province of Reggio Calabria
Catanzaro | Cosenza | Crotone | Reggio Calabria | Vibo Valentia

History - the Middle Ages

Agnana was founded in 1343 near a convent of Basilian monks located at the top of Mount Sant'Agnana, when the Baron of Mammola established in the area settlements of laborers for the custody of his herds and some peasant families for the cultivation of the land.

History - from the 16th to the 18th Century

In February 1550 Giovanbattista Carafa, Marquis of Castelvetere (today Caulonia) gave the hamlets of Agnana and Mammola to Giovanni Gagliego, and soon after became a Agnana century farmhouse in Mammola. In 1667, Diego Joppa sold Agnana to Maria Ruffo who bought the "Casale" in the name of her son Giovanni Spina da Melicuccà. Then it passed to the Gonzaga Barreta family, who sold it in 1748 to the De Gregorio until 1806, the year of the suppression of feudalism.

History - Modern Times

A French law of 1811 and then Ferdinand II of Bourbon in 1816 classified Agnana as "village of Canolo." On 19 May 1846, Ferdinand II of Bourbon, accompanied by his wife Maria Theresa of Austria and the heir to the throne Prince Francesco, went to visit the mineral deposits of lignite and anthracite which gave hope of employment and development to the people of the area.

In the centuries Agnana was hit by several disasters: the earthquake of February 1783, which also destroyed the church of the patron saint, St. Basil, which was rebuilt but was again almost destroyed by a hurricane on January 23, 1885. Moreover, the place was severely damaged by another earthquake in 1905.

Genealogy & Links

Where to stay