Cosenza, Province of Cosenza, Calabria
- Altitude: 238 m a.s.l
- Population: about 72,000 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 88100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0961
- Demonym: cosentini
- Patron Saint: the Madonna del Pilerio celebrated on 12 February
- Frazioni & Localities: Borgo Partenope, Donnici, Sant'Ippolito.
Here - according to the legend - Goth king Alaric died in 410 A.D. and was buried with all his fabulous treasure, somewhere in the bed of the Busento river. Here too Isabel of Aragon died after falling from her horse on the way home from the 8th Crusade.
After the Longobards, the area was occupied by the Byzantines, Aragonese, Spaniards. In the 16th century, Cosenza became the center of a flourishing Academy and here 16th-century philosopher Bernardino Telesio (1509-1588) was born.
What to see
- In the historical center, the 12th-century Cathedral, one of the most interesting and best conserved sacred buildings in Southern Italy. Reconstructed after a disastrous earthquake in 1184, it was solemnly inaugurated in 1222 in the presence of emperor Frederick II of Swabia. The facade in the original Romanesque-benedictine style, has three gothic portals and three rosewindows. The inside of the church is divided into three naves, and contains the fine chapel of the Madonna of the Pilerio, patron saint of the city, beautiful frescoes, the sepulchre of Isabel of Aragon, the sarcophagus of Meleager.
- In Piazza 15 Marzo, the Teatro Comunale "Alfonso Rendano", with rich opera and performances programs, a cultural center for the whole region.