Amantea, Province of Cosenza, Calabria
Rising on a hill over the Adriatic coast on the deep estuary of the Catocastro river, was a village of fishermen, recently developed into a summer resort.
- Altitude: 50 m a.s.l
- Population: about 14,000 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 87032
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0982
- Demonym: amanteani or amanteoti
- Patron Saint: St. Antony of Padua, celebrated on 13 June
- Frazioni & Località: Acquicella, Camoli, Cannavina, Coreca, Campora San Giovanni.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The church of San Bernardino, with monastery; the rich Gothic portal with niches containing ceramic decorations is unique in the region.
- The ruins of the Byzantine castle on top of the hill.