Altomonte, Province of Cosenza, Calabria
Rising on a hill between the Fiumicello and the Grondo rivers, has a very picturesque medieval center of steep alleys and flights of steps, for which reason it is included in the "Borghi più Belli d'Italia".
- Altitude: 455 m a.s.l
- Population: about 4400 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 87042
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0981
- Demonym: altomontesi
- Patron Saint: St. Francesco of Paola, celebrated on 2 April
- Frazioni & Località: Casello, Firmo, Lungro, Roggiano Gravina, San Donato di Ninea, San Lorenzo del Vallo, San Sosti, Saracena.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria della Consolazione, in the Gothic style, completed in the 14th century though reconstructed inside in the baroque style, contains sculptures of the 14th century, tombs in sculpted wood of the Sanseverino family, and a fine mausoleum of Filippo Sangineto.
- The Civic Museum, hosting among other works a painting of San Ladislao, possibly the work of Simone Martini.
Events and Festivities
- Holy Friday, Processione dei Misteri, with characters in costume.