Catanzaro, Province of Catanzaro, Calabria
- Population: about 89,000 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 88100
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0961
- Demonym: catanzaresi
- Patron Saint: St. Vitaliano from Capua, celebrated on 16 July.
- Catanzaro is divided into 5 Circoscrizioni, which are then subdivided into "Quartieri":
- Circostrizione I: Gagliano, Mater Domini, Pontegrande, Pontepiccolo, Sant'Antonio, Sant'Elia
- Circostrizione II: Centro storico, San Leonardo, Stadio
- Circostrizione III: Germaneto, Sala, Santa Maria, Siano
- Circostrizione IV: Fortuna, Lido.
History - Antiquity
The old town was built over three hills (St. Trifone or St. Rocco Hill; Episcopate's Hill; St. Giovanni Hill) in Byzanthine times. There are doubts on the origin of the name, some say it derived from two Byzanthine generals, Katà and Zaro, while another theory is that Zaro was the original name of the river, so that katà Zaro would mean beyond the river.
History - from the Middle Ages
A devastating earthquake in 1783 wiped away churches, palaces and a large part of the population. And a second in 1832 completed the destruction of most ancient historical buildings.
What to see
- The Museo delle Carrozze, the only one of its kind in Southern Italy, consisting of 21 perfectly restored carriages, hosted in the mansion of barone De Paula; among the many unique pieces the carriage used in «Gone with the Wind».
- The beach resort of Catanzaro Lido, about 5 kilometers south. It has a large board walk, and a harbor for small fishing and pleasure boats.