LogoLogo

Catanzaro, Province of Catanzaro, Calabria

This ancient town rises on a rock and is split into two parts by the steep Fiumarella valley, the two sections being connected by a huge concrete steel bridge (the Viadotto Morandi), among the highest in Europe, built in 1960 on a design of architect Riccardo Morandi. Called the city of the 3 V's from Vitaliano (the patron saint), velvets (it was a textile center since Norman times) and "venti" (=winds) for the breeze form the Sila mountains and the sea.

Info

  • Population: about 89,000 inhabitants in 2018
  • Zip/postal code: 88100
  • Dialing Area Code: +39 0961
  • Demonym: catanzaresi
  • Patron Saint: St. Vitaliano from Capua, celebrated on 16 July.

Administrative Division

    Catanzaro is divided into 5 Circoscrizioni, which are then subdivided into "Quartieri":
  • Circostrizione I: Gagliano, Mater Domini, Pontegrande, Pontepiccolo, Sant'Antonio, Sant'Elia
  • Circostrizione II: Centro storico, San Leonardo, Stadio
  • Circostrizione III: Germaneto, Sala, Santa Maria, Siano
  • Circostrizione IV: Fortuna, Lido.

History - Antiquity

The old town was built over three hills (St. Trifone or St. Rocco Hill; Episcopate's Hill; St. Giovanni Hill) in Byzanthine times. There are doubts on the origin of the name, some say it derived from two Byzanthine generals, Katà and Zaro, while another theory is that Zaro was the original name of the river, so that katà Zaro would mean beyond the river.

History - from the Middle Ages

It was the first place in Italy to introduce the breeding of the silkworm in the 11th century. The peasants of the countryside around the city produced the raw silk, which was then woven in the silk workshops of Catanzaro. A large part of the population was involved in this business, and the silk of Catanzaro supplied almost all of Europe. The silk was sold in a large market fair in the port of Reggio Calabria, to Spanish, Venetians, Genovese and Dutch merchants.

A devastating earthquake in 1783 wiped away churches, palaces and a large part of the population. And a second in 1832 completed the destruction of most ancient historical buildings.

What to see

  • The Museo delle Carrozze, the only one of its kind in Southern Italy, consisting of 21 perfectly restored carriages, hosted in the mansion of barone De Paula; among the many unique pieces the carriage used in «Gone with the Wind».
  • The beach resort of Catanzaro Lido, about 5 kilometers south. It has a large board walk, and a harbor for small fishing and pleasure boats.

Where to stay