Argusto, Province of Catanzaro, Calabria
The small village is situated along the Ionian slopes of the mountainous Serre, and it is a mainly agricultural center, producing good wine and oil.
- Altitude: 530 m a.s.l
- Population: about 550 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 88060
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0967
- Patron Saint: St. Ilario, celebrated on 14 January.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
The history of the place is connected to the presence in the area of a byzanthine monk from Egypt, St. Ilarione, who evangelized the Ionian coast in the 4th century. The earliest historical mention of the town go back to the 16th century, when a group of farmers from Motta Santa Lucia established here. But it is possible that in antiquity this was the site of the ancient Aprustum mentioned by geographer Tolomaeus, and a later mention in 1310 of a church of Sanctus Ylarius de Argusto, in a church taxation document is actually a proof of the existence of the village.
What to see
- A permanent Exhibition of Contemporary Calabrese Art.
- The church dedicated to St. Ilario of Poitiers.
Events and Festivities
- Patron feast on 14 January
- First Sunday in September, a market fair for Sant'Ilario.