Muro Lucano, Province of Potenza, Basilicata
The small town rises on a slope over the Forra di Muro ravine, with picturesque houses built on terraces, and is named from the medieval wall (=muro) that surrounded the medieval center, still partly extant.
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Basilicata
Matera | Potenza
- Altitude: 600 m a.s.l
- Population: about 5500 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 85054
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0976
- Patron Saint: St. Gerardo Majella, celebrated on September 2
- Frazioni: Capodigiano, Casale San Giuliano, Le Marze, Pontegiacoia, Raitiello.
What to see
- The Norman castle, where Giovanna I queen of Naples was killed at the end of the 14th c.