Maratea, Province of Potenza, Basilicata
- Altitude: 310 m a.s.l
- Population: about 5,400 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 85046
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0973
- Frazioni and Localities: the municipality includes the popular seaside resorts of Acquadredda, Cersuta, Fiumicello, Porto, Marina and Castrocucco, and in the mountainous hinterland Massa, Brefaro and S. Caterina, while to the west of Mount San Biagio are Curzo and Campo.
Provinces of Basilicata
History - Antiquity
An ancient settlement was found also along the coast at "Santavenere", where items and documents show the presence of a temple to goddess Venus. It is therefore possible that both Santavenere and Castello joined in one center. In Roman times the small isle of Santo Janni was used to produce the "garum", a fish-based salty sauce in great demand in Rome, used to flavour dishes; on the sea bottom around the island naby anchors have been found, and on the island there are still the stone basins used to produce the garum.
History - The Middle Ages
What to see
- 11th–12th-c. church of San Vito
- The Castle, the center of the medieval town now mostly in ruins
- The Basilica di San Biagio, next to the castle, on the spot of a former temple to Juno, preserving since 732 AD the chest of the saint.
- on top of the promontory the giant statue of Christ, covered in Carrara marble with arms wide open in a cross sign, second only to the Corcovado in Rio de Janeiro.