Cancellara, Province of Potenza, Basilicata
Located along the right bank of the Alvo river among vineyards and olive tree plantations, dominated by the 25th-century castle, Cancellara was possibly repopulated around 1535 by an Albanese colony coming from Corona, Greece.
- Population: about 1600 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 85010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0971
- Patron Saint: St. Biagio, celebrated on 3 February
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
Provinces of Basilicata
Matera | Potenza
What to see
- The 16th-century parish church with bell tower and a fine painting of the Madonna delle Grazie
- The 14th-century church of Sant'Antonio, with a frescoed arch above the portal.
- The massive medieval castle, today partly inhabited by private families, existing already in 1240 when a royal document encharges its reparation to the inhabitants of nearby towns; later around the central massive towers more locals were built and it was changed into an imposing mansion. Legends say the castle was larger still than it appears to day, encircling also a wide area of the present village, since the unknown architect wanted to build 365 homes all around, so that on every day of the year there would be a room with light - and one more room that nobody knows where no light comes in.