Miglionico, Province of Matera, Basilicata
A lively holiday destination, the town rises on a high hill amid olive trees, vineyards, orchards and vegetable gardens, between the valleys of the Bradano and Basento rivers.
- Population: about 2,400 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 75010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0835
- Demonym: miglionichesi
- Patron Saint: St. Pietro celebrated on 29 June.
Miglionico was for a long time a fiefdom of the Sanseverino family and subsequently, in the 16th century it was allotted to Ettore Fieramosca, the famous condottiere of the Barletta challenge.
What to see
- The Castle of Malconsiglio, a massive fortiress possibly built by the Normans.
- The church of Santa Maria Maggiore, with a 13th-century portal and a Romanesque belltower, partly renovated in the Renaissance period, hosting a fine late-15th century polyptych by Cima da Conegliano and 18 panel paintings in the Baroque style.
- The San Giuliano Oasis, an artificial lake formed by the Bradano river, surrounded by woods offering shelter to migratory birds.