Aliano, Province of Matera, Basilicata
- Altitude: 498 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1000 inhabitants in 2011
- Zip/postal code: 75010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0835
- Patron Saint: St. Luigi Gonzaga, celebrated on 21 June
- Frazioni & Localities: Alianello
History - Antiquity
History - The Middle Ages
The earliest texts where Aliano is officially quoted date to 1060 AD, when a papal bull the administration of the village gave to the Bishop of Tricarico. In the Middle Ages Aliano was a fief of different families, including the Sanseverino, Carafa and the Colonna.
What to see
- A necropolis dating back to the 7th-6th centuries BC, with more than a thousand tombs and many artifacts, which are now kept in the Siritide Museum at Policoro.
- The church of San Luigi Gonzaga built in the 16th century, which preserves precious Byzantine paintings, dated 1500 - 1700, representing the Virgin with Child, and a silver cross of 1523 by Giovanni Perticara.
- The sanctuary of the Madonna della Stella, a small church just outside the town.
- The Museo della Civiltà Contadina (=Museum of Rural Life) located in an old mill, in which ancient frescoes and artifacts are preserved.
- The History Museum Carlo Levi, which preserves photos and documents of the artist from Turin.