Province of Matera, Basilicata
The territory of the province is mostly mountainous and hilly, bordered to the south-east by the Ionian Sea, with fine, unexploited beaches, and important archeological sites of the Greek period.
- Area: 3,446 km²
- Population: about 200,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 75100, 75010-75029
- Phone Area Codes: 0835
- Car Plate: MT
- Communes: 31 communes
- According to an administrative reform from 1 Jan 2014, the Province is scheduled for suppression and fusion with the Province of Potenza.
The province was suppressed in the early 19th century and re-established by Royal Decree in 1927 including 23 municipalities of the ancient circondario of Matera, one of Melfi, 6 of the circondario of Lagonegro and 2 of the circondario of Potenza.
The Comuni in the Province
Accettura | Aliano | Bernalda | Calciano | Cirigliano | Colobraro | Craco | Ferrandina | Garaguso | Gorgoglione | Grassano | Grottole | Irsina | Matera | Miglionico | Montalbano Jonico | Montescaglioso | Nova Siri | Oliveto Lucano | Pisticci | Policoro | Pomarico | Rotondella | Salandra | San Giorgio Lucano | San Mauro Forte | Scanzano Jonico | Stigliano | Tricarico | Tursi | Valsinni.
Where to stay
- Hotels, Agritourism, Bed & Breakfast in the Province of Matera, divided by category and grouped by locality.
- Official website: www.provincia.matera.it.