Torricella Sicura, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
It rises on a hill which dominates the valley of the Tordino river, and is a good starting point for hiking itineraries into the mountains of La Farina and Tre Croci.
- Altitude: 437 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 6 km
- Population: ca. 2600 inhabitants
- Frazioni: Abetemozzo, Antanemuccio, Borgonovo, Case di Pompa, Colle Fiorito, Colle Sansonesco, Corvacchiano, Costumi, Faognano, Fornaci, Galliano, Ginepri, Ioanella, Magliano, Morricone, Pastignano, Piano Grande, Poggio Rattieri, Poggio Valle, Prognetto, San Felice, San Pietro ad Azzano, Santa Chiara, Santo Stefano, Scorzone, Tizzano, Valle Piola, Villa Popolo, Villa Riccio, Villa Tofo.
- How to reach it: by motorway, A24 exit Villa Vomano; by road, from Teramo.
Follow us on Facebook
The town rose in the Middle Ages; formerly known as "Torricella Oscura" or "Scura", it belonged to the city of Teramo. It is believed that in its vicinity there was a spa building, probably of the Roman period, of which traces of walls are extant. In the past it was famous for its stone quarries at Ioanella and for the breeding of silkworms.
What to see
- The church of San Bartolomeo, at nearby Villa del Popolo, with wooden painted roof
- The Remains of prehistoric walls at Magliano
- The church of San Pietro ad Azzano of the 13th century
- The Gran Sasso-Laga National Park.
Events and Festivities
- Early September: Festival of "minestrone alla torricellese", with music and dances.