Torano Nuovo, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
It stands on a sunny hill overlooking the valley of the river Vibrata, a few kilometers from the sea.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 237 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 27 km
- Population: ca. 1700 inhabitants in 2010
- Postal code: 64010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Petrella, Valle Santa Maria, Villa Bizzarri
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 exit San Benedetto del Tronto.
Two etymologies are given for the name "Torano": the first is that it derives from the Etruscan deity "Turan", which means "god, constellation", while another associates it to the Latin word "Turris" (=tower). In 1494 Torano, strategically located on the boundary between the Papal States and the Kingdom of Naples, was almost totally destroyed as a result of the "war of chalk" between Charles VIII and Ferdinand II of Aragon. The economy, based in past centuries on breeding of silkworms, saw more recently a growth of vineyards and wineries.
What to see
- The church of Madonna delle Grazie
- The church of San Massimo a Varano, of medieval origin
- The church of San Martino at Villa Torri, which hosts interesting frescoes.
Events and Festivities
- July: classical music concerts, theater and dance performances for children.
- Mid-August: Festival of wine, sausage and cheese, as well as exhibition of DOC wines
- August: National Volleyball Tournament.