TORANO NUOVO, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
It stands on a sunny hill overlooking the valley of the river Vibrata, a few kilometers from the sea.
Altitude: 237 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 27 km -- Population: ca. 1700 inhabitants in 2010 -- Zip code: 64010 -- Phone Area Code: 0861 -- Frazioni: Petrella, Valle Santa Maria, Villa Bizzarri -- How to reach it: motorway: A14 exit San Benedetto del Tronto
Two etymologies are given for the name "Torano": the first is that it derives from the Etruscan deity "Turan", which means "god, constellation", while another associates it to the Latin word "Turris" (=tower). In 1494 Torano, strategically located on the boundary between the Papal States and the Kingdom of Naples, was almost totally destroyed as a result of the "war of chalk" between Charles VIII and Ferdinand II of Aragon. The economy, based in past centuries on breeding of silkworms, saw more recently a growth of vineyards and wineries.
Points of Interest
- the church of Madonna delle Grazie
- the church of San Massimo a Varano, of medieval origin
- the church of San Martino at Villa Torri, which hosts interesting frescoes
Events & Festivities
- July: classical music concerts, theater and dance performances for children.
- Mid August: Festival of wine, sausage and cheese, as well as exhibition of DOC wines
- August: National Volleyball Tournament