Roseto degli Abruzzi, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
- Altitude: 5 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 34 km
- Population: ca. 2100 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64026
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- Frazioni: Bonaduce, Campo a Mare, Casal Thaulero, Cologna Paese, Cologna Spiaggia, Montepagano, San Giovanni, Santa Lucia, Voltarrosto
- How to reach it: by motorway, A14 uscita Roseto; by road, s.s. 16 Adriatica, S.S. 150 from Teramo.
History - Antiquity and Middle Ages
In the Midle Ages and for centuries Montepagano was the main center in the area. It is mentioned in several documents both for the presence of the Emperor Lotharius and because it was part of the possessions of the Abbey of San Giovanni in Venere. Remains of the ancient medieval fortifications can still be identified in the four entrance doors and in the Romanesque-Baroque belltower built in red bricks, belonging in the past to the now lost church of Sant'Antimo.
In 1251 Montepagano was included in the newly established Diocesis of Atri.
History - Modern Times
What to see
- The church of Santissima Annunziata - In Montepagano, 7 Km from Roseto, harbors a very beautiful wooden chorus of the 17th century with a statue of the Annunciation of the XV century, a processional cross in silver by Pietro Santi, a remarkable walnut pulpit and a 17th-century organ.
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta - Once Church of Santa Filomena, built in the early 1900's ha a peculiar altar in terracotta and a fine painting "Sacra Famiglia" by Pasquale Celommi (1851 -1928), reproduced on a stamp on the 60th anniversary of the Rosetan painter's death.
- The chapel "Russicum" - Near villa Paris, an orthodox church with fine frescos and icons.
- The Pinacoteca Comunale - In the Villa Comunale (formerly Villa Ponno) in Roseto degli Abruzzi down town. It preserves significant works of artists from Roseto: painters Pasquale, Raffaello, and Luigi Celommi, ceramist Pier Giuseppe Di Blasio and ebanist Antonio De Simone.
- The Museum of Cultura Materiale - Located in Montepagano, preserves objects on the jobs of the past, everyday tools no more used today, institutions and local personalities, images and photos.
- The Public Library, opened in 1860, with more than 15.000 volumes
- The Collezione D'Ilario, near the Villa Comunale, a library of showbiz entertainment and the seat of the Istituto Dialettologico Abruzzese.
- The medieval Tower in Montepagano, the upper part a remake in the Baroque style.
Events and Festivities
- 2 July: Feast of the Sacro Cuore
- Late July: Wine festival with medieval Palio in Montepagano and exhibition of typical wines.
- Summer: International Basketball Tournament "Lido delle Rose"
- July - August: Summer music shows.