ROSETO DEGLI ABRUZZI, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
- road: s.s. 16 Adriatica, S.S. 150 from Teramo
History - Antiquity and Middle Ages
In the Midle Ages and for centuries Montepagano was the main center in the area. It is mentioned in several documents both for the presence of the Emperor Lotharius and because it was part of the possessions of the Abbey of San Giovanni in Venere. Remains of the ancient medieval fortifications can still be identified in the four entrance doors and in the Romanesque-Baroque belltower built in red bricks, belonging in the past to the now lost church of Sant'Antimo.
In 1251 Montepagano was included in the newly established Diocesis of Atri. In 1424 the Acquaviva family obtained lordship over the territory of Montepagano, which they were to keep up to the French occupation in 1806 and consequent abolition of feudal rights.
History - from the 19th century
Points of Interest - Religious Architecture
- Church of Santissima Annunziata - In Montepagano, 7 Km from Roseto, harbors a very beautiful wooden chorus of the 17th century with a statue of the Annunciation of the XV century, a processional cross in silver by Pietro Santi, a remarkable walnut pulpit and a 17th-century organ.
- Church of S. Maria Assunta - Once Church of Santa Filomena, built in the early 1900's ha a peculiar altar in terracotta and a fine painting "Sacra Famiglia" by Pasquale Celommi (1851 -1928), reproduced on a stamp on the 60th anniversary of the Rosetan painter's death.
- Chapel "Russicum" - Near villa Paris, an orthodox church with fine frescos and icons.
Points of Interest - Monuments and Palaces
- Pinacoteca Comunale - In the Villa Comunale (formerly Villa Ponno) in Roseto degli Abruzzi down town. It preserves significant works of artists from Roseto: painters Pasquale, Raffaello, and Luigi Celommi, ceramist Pier Giuseppe Di Blasio and ebanist Antonio De Simone.
- Museum of Cultura Materiale - Located in Montepagano, preserves objects on the jobs of the past, everyday tools no more used today, institutions and local personalities, images and photos.
- The Public Library, opened in 1860, with more than 15.000 volumes
- Collezione D'Ilario, near the Villa Comunale, a library of showbiz entertainment and the seat of the Istituto Dialettologico Abruzzese.
- The medieval Tower in Montepagano, the upper part a remake in the Baroque style.
Events & Festivities
- 2 July: Feast of the Sacro Cuore
- Late July : Wine festival with medieval Palio in Montepagano and exhibition of typical wines.
- Summer: International Basketball Tournament "Lido delle Rose"
- July - August: Summer music shows