Rocca Santa Maria, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
It is a "comune sparso", formed of many hamlets, non of which is named Rocca Santa Maria. It is a starting point for hiking and climbing itineraries into the Monti della Laga.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 1073 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 23 km
- Population: ca. 600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Acquaratola, Alvelli, Belvedere, Canili, Ceppo, Cesa, Castiglione, Ciarelli, Colle, Cona Faiete, Faiete, Fioli, Fiume, Forno, Fustagnano, Imposte, Licciano, Macchia Santa Cecilia, Martese, Paranesi, Pomarolo, Riano, San Biagio, Serra, Tavolero, Tevere.
- How to reach it: by road, from Teramo.
Various findings point to the existence of settlements in the Empire Age (29 BC to 476 AD). In medieval times it was an important fortress, of which there are remains in Colle Castello. In 1273 it was mentioned for the first time inder the current name, which indicated the whole area (with its many settlements already in the Middle Ages); from 1279 to 1806 it was a fief of the bishop of Teramo.
What to see
- Serra and Acquaratola, two nearly abandoned villages with typical stone houses
- The church of San Pietro at Faiete, dating back to the 13th century
- The church of San Flaviano (at Tavolero), built on the remains of an earlier building, whose stone elements were inserted in the newer facade
- the Gran Sasso-Laga National Park.
Events and Festivities
- First week in August: Festival of porcini mushrooms and "callara" mutton.
Where to stay
- Hotel Julia.