Pietracamela, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Pietracamela lies in the middle of an astounding mountain landscape, in the heart of the Gran Sasso chain, can offer the visitor beautiful monuments too, such as the Church of San Leucio and the medieval centre with typical stone houses. It is well-known among mountain lovers as a starting point for ascents to Pizzo d'Intermesoli, Corno Piccolo and Corno Grande. A few kilometres from the centre there are the renownened skiing facilities of Prati di Tivo.
- Altitude: 1000 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 33 km
- Population: ca. 350 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64047
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Intermesoli, Prati di Tivo
- How to reach it: by motorway, A24 exit San Gabriele, then a secondary road; by road, S.S. 80 from Teramo.
Follow us on Facebook
The first record of the name Petracameri and Petra Camelis seu Camelii date back to the XV century, then in the following two hundred years the territory was under the rule of the Orsini and then of the Ferrante de Alarcon y Mendoza. In the past the economy was mostly based on sheep raising and woolwork, and the shepherds followed the traditional Abruzzese custom of the transhumancy, whereas today the inhabitants mostly rely on tourism.
What to see
- The church of San Giovanni (1432) with a peculiar belltower
- The church of San Rocco (early 15th century), with a finely-sculpted stone portal and a precious holywater basin
- Typical XIV-XVI centuries houses in stone
- The church of S. Leucio, with an original XVI-century stone "acquasantiera"
- Prati di Tivo, a renowned skiing resort
- The Parco Nazionale Gran Sasso-Laga.
Events and Festivities
- 15-16 August: Feast of Santa Maria e S. Rocco.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Pietracamela
- People researching in Pietracamela
- Newspaper articles on Pietracamela.