PIETRACAMELA, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
Pietracamela lies in the middle of an astounding mountain landscape, in the heart of the Gran Sasso chain, can offer the visitor beautiful monuments too, such as the Church of San Leucio and the medieval centre with typical stone houses. It is well-known among mountain lovers as a starting point for ascents to Pizzo d'Intermesoli, Corno Piccolo and Corno Grande. A few kilometres from the centre there are the renownened skiing facilities of Prati di Tivo.
Altitude: 1000 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 33 km -- Population: ca. 350 inhabitants -- Zip code: 64047 -- Phone Area Code: 0861 -- Frazioni: Intermesoli, Prati di Tivo -- How to reach it: autoroute: A24 exit San Gabriele, then a secondary road; - road: S.S. 80 from Teramo
The first record of the name Petracameri and Petra Camelis seu Camelii date back to the XV century, then in the following two hundred years the territory was under the rule of the Orsini and then of the Ferrante de Alarcon y Mendoza. In the past the economy was mostly based on sheep raising and woolwork, and the shepherds followed the traditional Abruzzese custom of the transhumancy, whereas today the inhabitants mostly rely on tourism.
Points of Interest
- Church of San Giovanni (1432) with a peculiar belltower
- Church of San Rocco (early 15th century), with a finely-sculpted stone portal and a precious holywater basin
- Typical XIV-XVI centuries houses in stone
- Church of S. Leucio, with an original XVI-century stone "acquasantiera"
- Prati di Tivo, a renowned skiing resort
- Parco Nazionale Gran Sasso-Laga
Events & Festivities
- 15-16 August: Feast of S. Maria e S. Rocco
Hotels, Lodging, Restaurants
- Click here for
- HOTELS IN PIETRACAMELA