The current name, recorded since 1273, comes from the hamlet of Pinna, where there was the church of "Sancti Andree." In the 14th century the area passed to the Acquaviva of Atri, who were feudal lords until the 18th century.
Penna Sant'Andrea, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
The village lies on a hill overlooking the Vomano valley. A picturesque folk dance, "Laccio d'Amore" (=Love Lace) had its origin here. Its territory includes the Natural Reserve of Castel Cerreto and the fine 16th-century church of Santa Maria del Soccorso.
- Altitude: 413 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 18 km
- Population: ca. 1600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64039
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Capsano, Pilone, Val Vomano
- How to reach it: by motorway, A24 uscita Villa Vomano; by road, S.S. 81 from Teramo.
Follow us on Facebook
In the territory there were prehistoric settlements, as shown by archaeological findings related to a necropolis. Other findings of Roman settlements are in the hamlet "Penna Vecchia". In 991 A.D. it came under Monte Cassino and later, in the Norman period, was a feud of Oderisio of Collepetrano. After the 10th century, the place passed under local families, always connected to Atri.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria del Soccorso, dating back to the 16th century, with a bell tower of the 18th century, the interior with a rectangular plan, decorated in stucco, a gilded wooden altar carved by Stefano Tèreo and paintings by Francesco Ragazzini from Ravenna
- Natural Reserve Castel Cerreto
- The church of Santa Giusta of the 18th century
- The church of Santa Maria di Podio of medieval origin
- The church of SS. Trinità of the 14th century
- Fonte Vecchia (15th century) with ancient well and basins.
Events and Festivities
- July: "Estadanze", an event with folk dances, especially with the "laccio d'amore", an old traditional dance of the place.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Penna Sant'Andrea
- People researching in Penna Sant'Andrea
- Newspaper articles on Penna Sant'Andrea.