MORRO D'ORO, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Morro d'Oro is situated between the two valleys of the rivers Tordino and Vomano, a dozen km from the Adriatic, 40 km from the Gran Sasso massif. Its economy relies on agriculture (vegetables, fruit, cereals, olive) accompanied now by a remarkable industrial development.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 450 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 28 km
- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64046
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by bus, from Teramo; by road, A25 exit Teramo, then state road to Roseto - Giulianova, or A14 exit Roseto
The first record of the existence of Morro D'Oro appears in a document of 1021, where the "Muro" area is donated to the Monastery of Montecassino. In the 12th century it belonged to Trasmondo from Castelvecchio, then was under the influence of the Acquavivas until the 18th century. The origin of the name, which appears as Murus, Murrum, Morrum, Moro, Murro is unknown, while the words "d'Oro" refer surely to the fertility of the land.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria di Propezzano ("propitia pauperis" = helpful to the poor) A legend says this church was founded on 10 may 715, when the Virgin Mary appeared on that spot, and it was an important landmark on the way to Palestine throughout the Middle Ages. The church has a majestic Holy Door, which is opened on 10 May and on Ascension Day, and a cloister beautifully frescoed by Polish painters Stefano and Sebastiano Majewshi (1660). This church is one of the most beautiful and ancient in Abruzzo.
- Monastery of Sant'Antonio, 13th century, according to the tradition founded by St. Frances.
- The church of San Salvatore, built in 1331 by Gentile di Ripatransone, with fine wooden altars and a terracotta Madonna by the Morro d'Oroana school.
- Azienda "Giardino Officinale" - Morro d'Oro (TE).
Events and Festivities
- 10 May, celebrations at Santa Maria di Propezzano and opening of the Holy Door.
Where to stay
- Ristorante EL CARIBE Dancing 49, v. piane vomano MORRO D'ORO +39 085-8041444.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Morro d'Oro
- People researching in Morro d'Oro
- Newspaper articles on Morro d'Oro
- MUNICIPIO Ufficio di Stato Civile - 1 p.Duca degli Abruzzi 64046 MORRO D'ORO (TE) - Tel: 085-895121.