MONTORIO AL VOMANO, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
This ancient centre, in the Vomano river valley, has now developed a flourishing commercial and industrial economy.
Altitude: 263 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 13 km -- Population: ca. 9000 inhabitants -- Zip code: 64040 -- Phone Area Code:0861 -- How to reach it: motorway: A24 exit S. Gabriele or Villa Vomano; - road: S.S.N. 80 from L'Aquila or Teramo
The Romans populated the area with many villas, rustic settlements, still remaining in a number of villages (Villa Brozzi, Villa Maggiore, Villa Vallucci) comprised within the Montorio municipality. Also the name of this centre comes from the latin Monte Aurum. In the Middle Ages it occupied more or less the same area still visible in the oldest part of the centre, and belonged to the powerful Camponeschi. In the XVIII century a fortress, Forte di San Carlo, was begun on the uppermost part, but was never finished.
Points of Interest
- Palazzo Catini, with an interesting portal embellished by columns and high reliefs
- Church of San Rocco, which houses behind the altar a spectacular "Resurrezione" by painter Vincenzo Pagani
- Church of Immacolata Concezione
- Church of Sant'Antonio da Padova
- Church of San Filippo Neri
- Gran Sasso-Laga National Park
Events & Festivities
- Holy Friday: Procession of the Passion
- July: International Festival of Folk Music
- End of August: Trout Festival