Montefino, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Named after the river Fino, which flows below the hill where this small centre rises, when the previous name of Montesecco was discarded.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 352 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 38 km
- Population: ca. 1300 inhabitants
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- How to reach it: by road, S.N. 81 from Teramo or Penne.
The first information on this centre date back to the late Middle Ages, when it was a fortified citadel, a guarding post over the Fino river valley. Later on it belonged to the Acquavivas.
What to see
- The remains of the medieval walls.
- The church of St. Giacomo, with its high belltower.
Events and Festivities
- Holy Friday: Representation of the Passion
- 16 July: Feast of the Madonna del Carmine
- First Sunday in September: Feast of the Madonna delle Grazie.
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Montefino
- People researching in Montefino
- Newspaper articles on Montefino.