ISOLA DEL GRAN SASSO, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
In a panoramic position against the profile of the Gran Sasso, this fine centre is full of memories of the past, and a busy destination for tourists coming to nearby Santuario di S. Gabriele, to ask for help from the Saint.
Altitude: 414 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 28 km -- Population: ca. 4950 inhabitants -- Zip code: -- Phone Area Code: -- How to reach it: - road: motorway: A-24 exit S. Gabriele
The area was already inhabited in Roman times, as shown from remains found a few km away, at Cerchiara. The present settlement was mentioned in the XI century, and in the XV was under the Orsini family.
Points of Interest
- The medieval walls
- Church of San Massimo, with a beautiful XV century portal by Matteo da Napoli and a rich stone baptistry
- Church of San Giovanni ad Insulam, one of the most interesting Gothic/Romanesque churches in Abruzzo
- Medieval castle at nearby Pagliara
- Sanctuary of San Gabriele
- Gran Sasso-Laga National Park
Events & Festivities
- July: Beer festival
- Last Sunday in August: Feast of S. Gabriele