Isola del Gran Sasso d'Italia, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
In a panoramic position against the profile of the Gran Sasso, this fine centre is full of memories of the past, and a busy destination for tourists coming to nearby Santuario di S. Gabriele, to ask for help from the Saint.
- Altitude: 414 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 28 km
- Population: ca. 4950 inhabitants
- How to reach it: by road, motorway: A-24 exit S. Gabriele.
Follow us on Facebook
The area was already inhabited in Roman times, as shown from remains found a few km away, at Cerchiara. The present settlement was mentioned in the XI century, and in the XV was under the Orsini family.
What to see
- The medieval walls.
- The church of San Massimo, with a beautiful XV century portal by Matteo da Napoli and a rich stone baptistry.
- The church of San Giovanni ad Insulam, one of the most interesting Gothic/Romanesque churches in Abruzzo.
- The Medieval castle at nearby Pagliara.
- The Sanctuary of San Gabriele.
- The Gran Sasso-Laga National Park.
Events and Festivities
- July: Beer festival
- Last Sunday in August: Feast of S. Gabriele.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Isola del Gran Sasso
- People researching in Isola del Gran Sasso
- Newspaper articles on Isola del Gran Sasso.