Fano Adriano, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
On St. Marcello hill, along the Vomano valley, near a picturesque oak-wood, which gives the name to a nearby village Cerqueto (quercia, Italian for oak tree, changes into cerqua in vernacular), rises this interesting medieval centre, rich in monuments and traditions.
- Altitude: 745 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 26 km
- Population: ca. 430 inhabitants
- How to reach it: by motorway, A-24, exit S. Gabriele; by road, S.S.N. 80 from Teramo or L'Aquila.
Follow us on Facebook
Remains of a roman settlement testify the age-long human presence in the area. The name of the village lends itself to many interpretations. Fanum was in latin "temple", while Adriano might apply to the Roman emperor or be a modification of a nearby centre, triganum. In the XV century the medieval borough belonged to the Orsini.
What to see
- The church of St. Pietro, with a typical facade dominated by a massive belltower, with a fine early XVII-century ceiling and Baroque decorations, Renaissance frescoes.
- The church of the Annunziata, on top of St. Marcello hill, built on the remains of a medieval sighting tower
- The Museo del Folklore, at nearby Cerqueto
- The Gran Sasso-Laga National Park.
Events and Festivities
- End of December: Live Crib, a representation of the Nativity divided into various "stations" along the paths of the nearby oak forest.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Fano Adriano
- People researching in Fano Adriano
- Newspaper articles on Fano Adriano.