Cortino, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Located at the foot of the Monti della Laga, it is the highest commune in the province of Teramo and includes more than 19 villages. The term Cortino is a diminutive of "short", to indicated a small farm inhabited by settlers. Its territory is rich in springs and unspoilt landscapes. In the hamlet of Elce, there is a forest of very rare white fir trees.
- Altitude: 1000 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 28 km
- Population: ca. 960 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64040
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Agnova, Altovia (abandoned), Caiano, Casagreca, Casanova, Collegilesco, Comignano, Cunetta, Elce, Faieto, Fonte Palumbo, Lame, Macchiatornella, Padula (previously Rocca di Padula), Pagliaroli, Pezzelle, Piano Fiumata, Servillo, Vernesca.
Follow us on Facebook
The name Cortino appears for the first time in 1029, but the discovery in the hamlet of Pagliaroli of the remains of a large temple, dating from the 3rd-2nd century BC show that the history of this place is much older. During the 12th century it was donated to the Bishop of Teramo. In 1529 it became part of the "Stato della Montagna di Roseto" under the Acquaviva family, who were lords of the area until 1806. At the end of the 18th century the place had 190 inhabitants. In 1813 the old feud was divided in the two communes of Crognaleto and Cortino.
What to see
- The church of Santa Maria Assunta, of the early 14th century
- Altovia, an abandoned hamlet with houses in local stone and clay, the ruins of the church of the Madonna del Carmine and the "Casa dei Briganti".
- The church of San Lorenzo, at Elce
- At Pezzella, the Church of San Paolo with frescoes of the 16th and 17th centuries
- The Nature Trail "Abete Bianco" (=silver fir), an easy itinerary leading to one of the very few spontaneous woods of silver firtree in the Apennines, the "Abetina di Cortino".
Events and Festivities
- End of July: Festival of "pecora al caldaio" (mutton cooked in a cauldron)
- July: at Elce, Festival of "scrippelle"
- 18-20 July: Festival of antichi sapori (=ancient flavors)
- 15 August: Feast of the Assumption.