Corropoli, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
This fine medieval town is world-famous for the nearby neolithic village of Ripoli, dating back to 3000 B.C. which is one of the most important prehistoric centres in Europe. The famous neolithic tomb of the "woman with dog" was found here in 1914, and is presently in the Museo Nazionale Archeologico d'Abruzzo, Chieti.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: km
- Population: ca. inhabitants
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- How to reach it: by road, A14 7 km
What to see
- The Piazza Piedicorte, which was built on the ruins of a castle, and is at the centre of the village
- The Belltower, built by Antonio Da Lodi in the XV century, which is one of the four "campanili fratelli" (=brother belltowers, that is Atri, Campli, Corropoli, Teramo) of the Province.
- The Abbey of Santa Maria di Majulano, a Benedictine monastery built on the remains of a pagan temple dedicated to goddess Flora; Majulano was already mentioned in 1018 in a document by the Cartulario of Teramo.
- The Monastery of Gabbiano, founded in the XII century by Benedictine monks oming from Cassino.
- The Convent of Santa Maria degli Angeli, a Franciscan monastery, now in ruins, which had a wonderfully frescoed ceiling representing Crist's Ascension to Heaven.
- The Parish Church of Sant'Agnese, built in the Middle Ages on a Roman building, then completely rebuilt in a Baroque style, which contains interesting XIX century paintings.
Events and Festivities
- 13 August: Palio delle Botti.