Controguerra, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
The small centre rises near an archeological site with pre-historic and Roman remains.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 267 m a.s.l
- Population: ca. 2300 inhabitants in 2019
- Postal code: 64010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni and Localities: Commenda, Mattonelle, Piano del Tronto, Pignotto, San Giovanni, San Giuseppe Lavoratore, Santa Croce, Taiano.
What to see
- The Torrione built in 1370 on the remains of a Roman building, is what is now left of the "palazzo ducale" which was the seat of the families Nanno, Serra and Acquaviva of Atri, who ruled over the whole province.
- The Artisan knife workshop, where knives are still handmade
- The Museo della civiltÓ contadina, in nearby San Giuseppe Lavoratore, in an ancient farm with an agritour centre attached, with exhibits of tools of the countryside tradition before the Industrial revolution changed agricultural systems.
- The Lapide Plebani, a Latin inscription on stone found in 1878 in nearby contrada Santa Croce which can now be seen in the Rossi-Barcaroli palace.