Colonnella, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
The centre rises on a hill on the right bank of the Tronto river, in a wonderfully panoramic position: on clear days it is possible to see all around the Gran Sasso, Majella, Monti Sibillini, the Adriatic Sea and the whole Tronto Valley as far as Ascoli Piceno. The modern part of the town is a flourishing industrial and commercial centre.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 300 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 50 km
- Population: ca. 3000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
Archaeological findings show that the area was inhabited since neolithic times, then in the pre-Roman era on the place there existed a lively commercial and maritime centre, called Truentum, which disappeared in the period of the barbarians' invasions following the fall of the Roman empire (476 A.D.). It was then reconstructed after the VIII century, and the name appears for the first time in the X century. Colonnella was for a long time under the rule of Ascoli, and later of the Rosales family.
What to see
- The historical centre, with many medieval and Renaissance buildings and old narrow streets.
Events and Festivities
- Mid-March: feast of San Gabriele
- Second weekend in July: the "Manocchi", a feast in honour of Madonna del Suffragio
- 12-18 August: "estate Colonellanese", wine and gastronomy festival
- 27 December and 6 January: living crib.
Where to stay
- Hotel Bellavista
- Agriturismo Zenobi, 132 Contrada Rio Moro, Tel. #39 0861 70152.
Genealogy and Links
- Municipio di Colonnella, vl.Indipendenza, 64010 Colonnella (TE)
- Parrocchia S.Giovanni Evangelista, 132, v. s.giovanni, 64010 Colonnella (TE)
- Surnames presently recorded in Colonnella
- People researching in Colonnella
- Newspaper articles on Colonnella.