Cellino Attanasio, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Other Sections on Abruzzo
- Altitude: 429 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 30 km
- Population: ca. 2600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64036
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Artemisio, Ciafette, Faiete, Feudi, Luciani, Mammine, Matani, Minghetti, Monteverde, Petrilli, San Clemente, San Martino, San Pietro, Scorrano, Stampalone, Valviano.
From the 12th throughout the 13th century Cellino was under the rule of the abbot of San Giovanni in Venere and later of the Abbey of Montecassino. In 1462, it was besieged and sacked by the Angevin troops of Matteo of Capua. At the end of the 16th century the place passed under the Acquaviva of Atri, who turned it into a well fortified borough.
What to see
- The Fortified Borough of the 15th century
- The Church and Convent of San Francesco
- The Parish Church of Santa Maria La Nova, dated 14th century, with a beautiful portal and the tomb of duke Giovan Battista d'Acquaviva,
- The church of Santa Maria di Musano, at Scorrano.
Events and Festivities
- 1 to 2 May: Feast Sant'Attanasio
- 1-2 August: Feast of Madonna degli Angeli (Our Lady of Angels)
- 12-13-14 August: Truffle Festival
- 8 December: folk event of "Li Faugni" (bonfires) traditionally associated with the transportation by angels of the Holy House to Loreto, but according to ethnologists connected to ancient pagan rights in the proximity of the winter sosltice.