Castiglione Messer Raimondo, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
On a narrow plateau dominated by the majestic Gran Sasso, and overlooking from southwest the river Fino, this village is typical for its architecture of sandstone houses.
- Altitude: 306 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 41 km
- Population: ca. 2600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64034
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Appignano, Borea Santa Maria, Bozzano, Cesi, Colletrimarino, Piane, San Giorgio, Vorghe
- How to reach it: by bus and trains, from Teramo.
Follow us on Facebook
The early settlement was comprised within the territory of the Vestines and later the municipium of Pinna. At nearby Colle San Giorgio neolithic and bronze remains reveal that the area was inhabited since prehisotric times. In the same site there also remains of a II-century temple were found (now kept at Chieti National Museum), and at Apignano, S. Salvatore and Borgo Santa Maria traces of Roman country houses and farms have been found. In the early Middle Ages there are two important churches and Benedictine communities at S. Giorgio di Collina and Santa Maria di Luquiano. In 1193 Castiglione was plundered by Norman troops belonged to the Duchy of Atri and later to Raimondo Caldora (who left his name to the village).
What to see
- San Nicola di Bari (XVIII century), with a precious processional cross in copper and gilded silver of the XVI century.
- The remains of the "Castello" (XII-XIV)
- The fortified borough of Apignano.
Events and Festivities
- 6-7 August: Feast of San Donato
- Last weekend in August: Sagra del formaggio pecorino and local dishes.