Castellalto, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
The commune of Castellalto comprises the territory between the Tordino and Vomano rivers and includes a number of centres, among which Castellalto, Castelnuovo Voman and Castelbasso, which is the oldest and most interesting.
- Altitude: 481 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 15 km
- Population: ca. 6000 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64020
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Campogrande, Casemolino, Castelbasso, Castelnuovo Vomano, Feudo, Fosso Cupo, Guzzano, Mulano, Petriccione, San Cipriano, San Gervasio, Santa Lucia, Villa Torre, Villa Zaccheo
- How to reach it: by bus, from Teramo.
Follow us on Facebook
The discovery of neolithic arrows between Castellalto and Canzano shows the the area was already inhabited in prehistoric times. Then in Roman times the territory belonged to the municipium of Interamnia Praetuttiorum, and rustic villas have been found on a hill north of Castelbasso cemetery. In the early Middle Ages there was a Benedictine centre at nearby Laureio and in Norman times there were two castra, Castellum vetulum and Castelbasso. In 1273 a Diploma by Charles I d'Anjou mentions the castra of Castellalto and Castelbasso. In the late XV century the territory came into the power of the Acquaviva, who finally sold the two centres to the Valignani, a family from Chieti.
What to see
- San Giovanni Evangelista (Castellalto), with a 1584 portal and XVIII-century paintings
- Madonna degli Angeli (Castellalto), with an impressive Baroque altar and XVIII century paintings
- The XV-century walls in the nearby Castelbasso
- The church of S.S. Pietro e Andrea Apostoli in Castelbasso, with a remarkable 1338 portal and a high relief of the Lady with Child.
Events and Festivities
- July: Castellarte, a series of artistic and musical events
- December: Sagra dei Caggionetti (typical Christmas cakes filled with chestnuts and chick-peas).
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Castellalto
- People researching in Castellalto
- Associazione Amici per Castelbasso.