Castel Castagna, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Situated on the Northern side of the Gran Sasso, the village can show interesting medieval and Renaissance builduings.
- Altitude: 452 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 27 km
- Population: ca. 600 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64030
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- Frazioni: Bivio Castel Castagna, Castagna Vecchia, Chiavoni, Ronzano, Scaricasale, Vasto, Villa Ruzzi
- How to reach it: by bus, from Teramo; by road, Kms 12 from A24.
Follow us on Facebook
The present village rose in the XII century with the name of "Castrum castanee". In 1683 it was pillaged by bandits, and again in 1807 by a band of revolutionaries.
What to see
- The church of San Pietro, inside the village, with a significant Renaissance portal
- The church of Santa Maria di Ronzano, isolated in the nearby countryside along the river Mavone against the impressive background of Corno Grande, with 12th-century frescoes, among the most relevant examples of Lombard art in central Italy .
- The church of San Giovanni al Mavone (ad Insulam), along the road to Campo Imperatore, an ancient Benedictine basilica with precious frescos, lowreliefs and an early Christian crypt.
Events and Festivities
- 29 April: celebration of Saint Peter, the village patron
- 15 August: Cattle exhibition at Santa Maria di Ronzano.