Campli, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Situated on a hill between the two valleys of rivers Fiumicino and Siccagno, Campli is a centre of great artistic and religious interest, with a fine historical centre with many fine XV-century houses, among which the unique Casa del Medico, one of the most significant monuments of the town.
- Altitude: 393 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 12 km
- Population: ca. 7000 inhabitants in 2019
- Postal code: 64012
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- How to reach it: by motorway, Km 13 from A24; by bus, from Teramo; by road, from Teramo, Giulianova.
Follow us on Facebook
Campli includes a great many frazioni: Battaglia, Boceto, Campiglio, Campovalano, Cesenà, Cognoli, Colli, Collicelli, Fichieri, Floriano, Fonte a Collina, Friscoli, Gagliano, Garrufo, Guazzano, I Cappuccini, La Traversa, Masseri, Molviano, Morge, Nocella, Paduli, Pagannoni superiore e inferiore, Pastinella, Paterno, Piancarani, Plicati, Prognoli, Roiano, Sant'Onofrio, Terrabianca, Trinità, Villa Camera.
Nearby Campovalano, with a necropolis of the late Bronze Age, testify the antiquity of the human presence in the area. The name Campli first appears in documents of the IX century A.D., and in a Catalogue of the XII century is mentioned as the property of Roberto, Count of Aprutio. In 1538 the town was given by emperor Charles V to his daughter Margaret of Austria as a present for her wedding to Ottavio Farnese, and belonged to the Farnese up to the early XVIII century.
What to see
- The Palazzo del Parlamento, a fine medieval building which is nowadays the official seat of the municipality.
- The church of San Francesco (XIV sec), with another beautiful painting by Cola dell'Amatrice.
- The church of Santa Maria in Platea, XIV century, with a Romanesque belltower, three aisles and a typical wooden roof, a XVII-century canvas by local artist G.B. Boncori, a Renaissance altar with a statue by Silvestro dell'Aquila (1495) between two XVI-century paintings by Cola dell'Amatrice and, in the sacresty, a fine painting on wood with a rare picture of Mary nursing the Child Jesus.
- The Museo Archeologico Nazionale, in the former Convento di San Francesco, with remains from Campovalano (VII - V century B.C.), a celebrated Etruscan necropolis.
- The church of San Pietro, near Campovalano, founded in the VIII but rebuilt in the XIII century, which contains a precious Roman sarcophagus.
Events and Festivities
- 26-31 July: Sagra Gastronomica at nearby Sant'Onofrio
- 22 August: Sagra della Porchetta Italica
- 1 September: Celebration of the Virgin Mary.