Bisenti, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
Situated on an island-like terrace between the right bank of the river Fino and the Fossato, it is renowned for its vineyards and "montonico" wine.
- Altitude: 275 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 30 km
- Population: ca. 2500 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64033
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- How to reach it: by road, Km 30 from the exit of A14.
Follow us on Facebook
includes a great many frazioni: Acquadosso, Bivio Castelli, Campo di Pizzo, Campo Male, Case Cascignoli, Chioviano Alto, Chioviano Basso, Ciandò, Cipollone, Colle Ceci, Colle Marmo, Colle Paradiso, Piane Grande, Piano del Moro, Piedifinati, Rufiano, San Martino, San Nicola, San Pietro, San Savino, Scipione, Troiano, Villa Falone.
Human settlements of the Iron Age (VIII century B.C.) testify the ancient origin of the centre, the Italic Vesentia, a Vestine town, and Latin Visentium, belonging to the Pinna municipium (necropolis of both periods have been found). The present village rose in the XII century and belonged to the Anjou, the Montecassino Monastery and the Acquaviva.
What to see
- The "Castello", with two U-shaped towers (XII century)
- The Casa Abbaziale of the XV century, restored in the XVIII
- Santa Maria degli Angeli, with its high belltower, of medieval origin but rebuilt in the early XVIII century by Neapolitan Francesco de Sio, with a beautiful earthenware statue of the Lady with Child probably by Gian Francesco Gagliardelli
- The church of San Pietro e Paolo, in the nearby countryside, along the road to Arsita.
Events and Festivities
- July: Sagra dell'Emigrante, Sagra della gastronomia Bizantina
- 2 August: Celebration in honor of Madonna degli Angeli, with a procession of women in traditional costumes bringing offers
- First Sunday in October: Sagra Uva e Vino montonico, with a procession of allegorical cart and Wine Harvest songs.