Atri, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
On the top of a 3-pointed hill hovering on the Adriatic with the majestic Gran Sasso in the background, in a key position above the Val Vomano, the town was famous and powerful in antiquity and is today one of the most important historical, cultural and artistic centres in Abruzzo. The surrounding landscape is also impressive for the canyon-like calanques and the partly-unexplored caves.
- Altitude: 450 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 45 km
- Population: ca. 11500 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64032
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- Frazioni: Cagno, Casoli, Cavalieri, Cona, Colle Pelato, Colle della Giustizia, Fontanelle, Montagnola, Paterno, San Giacomo, Santa Margherita, Villa Ferretti, Treciminiere.
- How to reach it: by road, A25 exit Teramo; by motorway, A14 exit Pineto.
Follow us on Facebook
Hatria was a Roman colony from which many historians also derive the name of the Adriatic Sea. According to Strabo, it was founded by the Sabini, which is proved also by the remains of an early Iron-Age settlement on the Colle Maraldo di Atri and the necropolis at La Pretara and Colle della Giustizia. In the VI century BC the town was one of the four major Greek harbors in the Adriatic Sea. In 290 it was conquered by Rome. After the fall of the Roman empire, the territory came under the power of the Lombards (VI century A.D.) and was annexed to the Duchy of Spoleto. Then the Normans came, and in 1393 Atri was bought by the House of Acquaviva, under whose power a period of great splendor for the city began. At the end of the XVIII century it was given by the Acquaviva to the Kingdom of Naples. Di Pasquale Donato Giuseppe, born in Atri (PE), was a friar and a great music scholar.
What to see
- The Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta (late XII century)
- The Palazzo Ducale Acquaviva, a fortress built in the highest point of the town, now the seat of the municipality;
- The Medieval walls, with Porta Macelli and Porta S.Domenico
- The Museo Capitolare
- The church of San Francesco, with a beautiful Baroque flight of stairs
- The church of San Domenico, with two fine paintings by Giacomo Farelli (XVII century)
- The grottos, partly still unexplored, probably prehistoric settlements
- The "calanchi" in the surroundings.
Events and Festivities
- 1 January: "Lu S. Antonio"
- Holy Friday: representation of the Passion at nearby Villa Bozza
- Ferragosto week: Sagra delle Anguille
- 15 August: "La Maggiolata", a train of traditional oxen-drawn waggons and folk groups
- 18 August: Feast of "tagliolini", beans, prosciutto and cheese
- 19 August: celebration of San Gabriele
- 8 December: the "faugni", fires of dry canes in front of the Cathedral at dawn.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Atri
- People researching in Atri
- Newspaper articles on Atri
- Official Page of the Municipality - MUNICIPIO Ufficio di Stato Civile - v.Ss 553 (Fontanelle di Atri-Fontanelle) - 64032 ATRI (Te) Italia - tel: 085-8708414.