ARSITA, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo, Italy
In a panoramic position along the river Fino, on the Eastern side of the Gran Sasso d'Italia, in the middle of oak and woods, lies this small medieval village. In its territory there are pre-Roman remains from the VIII century B.C., and Roman coins, floors of buildings and small statues of the early Christian era.
Altitude: 470 m a.s.l -- Distance from Teramo: 36 km -- Population: ca. 1100 inhabitants -- Zip code: -- Phone Area Code:
Called Bacucco until 1905, Arsita rose in the later Middle Ages around a fortified castle called Castello Bacucco, which belonged originally to the Count of Chieti, then to the monks of Montecassino and finally to the Casa d'Este. The village was sold in 1583 to Margaret of Austria Farnese
Points of Interest
- Castello Bacucco, (remains) in the uppermost part of the village.
- church of Santa Vittoria
- church of Santa Maria D'Aragona, with a fine Madonna con Bambino
- Di Francesco watermill, along the ancient "Sentiero dei Mulini" (mills' path)
- Inferno spaccato, a rock-climbing site with modern facilities
Events & Festivities
- 17 January Feast of Saint Antony, with a burlesque performance of the saint's temptations in the desert
- II Sunday in August Sagra "del Coatto", a traditional mutton course
- 08-09-10 Settembre Festa Patronale