Ancarano, Province of Teramo, Abruzzo
The village rises in a domineering position on the valley of the river Tronto, and still maintains the appearance of a medieval citadel, surrounded by walls with two doors: the Porta da Monte and the Porta da Mare.
- Altitude: 293 m a.s.l
- Distance from Teramo: 32 km
- Population: ca. 1750 inhabitants
- Postal code: 64010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 0861
- How to reach it: by motorway, km 25 A24
Follow us on Facebook
The origin of the village are to be found in the later Middle Ages. In 1557 it was sieged by the Duke of Alba and the walls were destroyed. Until 1818 it belonged to the Bishopry of Ascoli, within the State of the Church. Then in 1852 it passed to the kingdom of Naples and a few years later to Italy.
What to see
- The medieval walls with the two doors called "da Monte" and "da Mare"
- The church of the Madonna della Misericordia, octagonal, with fine XVIII-century stuccoed altars
- The church of Madonna della Pace, built in 1958, contains a wooden Madonna by Silvestro dell'Aquila (1490), a 1759 urn with the reliques of Saint Simplicio, and XVIII century paintings among which Nicola Monti's Madonna del Rosario.
- Fonte di Monsignore: an ancient fountain built on the place of a water spring.
Events and Festivities
- 14 May: Feast of the Madonna della Carità
- 28 July - early August: Sagra del Coniglio e Prodotti Tipici ancaranesi
- 29 July: Feast of San Simplicio.
Where to stay
Genealogy and Links
- Surnames presently recorded in Ancarano
- People researching in Ancarano
- Newspaper articles on Ancarano.