Villa Celiera, Province of Pescara, Abruzzo
Located in a beautiful position on a rocky limestone in the vicinity of the Voltigno plateau, the village is included in the territory of the Gran Sasso-Laga National Park.
Other Sections on Abruzzo
Follow Italy Heritage on Facebook
- Altitude: 741 m a.s.l
- Distance from Pescara: 14 km
- Population: ca. 800 inhabitants
- Postal code: 65010
- Dialing Area Code: +39 085
- How to reach it: by road, s.n. 602 or SS 81 from Chieti
- Frazioni: Casanova, Fosso Secco, Pietrarossa, San Sebastiano Traino, Santa Maria, Vagnola.
The place was mentioned in the 13th century under the name of Celeria, Cilera or Cellaria; its history is linked to that of the important Cistercian abbey of Santa Maria in Casanova, built in the late 12th century building on the site. Villa Celiera was part of the municipality of Civitella Casanova until 1914.
What to see
- The ruins of the medieval abbey of Santa Maria di Casanova.
Events and Festivities
- July-August: Festival of the "maccheroni alla molinara"
- 7-8 September: Feast of Madonna di Regina Coeli (Our Lady of Regina Coeli)
- December-January: Living Nativity.